27 Nov German Cockroach
Smaller and faster than most species of cockroaches, German Cockroaches reproduce constantly, are adept climbers and have a shorter lifespan. Because of these traits, this particular species of cockroach has been able to infest indoor environments more successfully.
- Adult are 13–15 mm long.
- Pronotum (head shield) has 2 dark stripes running down the sides.
- Males are a light tan colour with a longer body.
- Females are darker with plump abdomens.
- Adult German cockroaches have wings, but they rarely fly, preferring to run
- Though capable of living outdoors, the pest are commonly found indoors
- Generally prefer warmer and more humid areas
- In homes, the pest will typically be found in kitchens and bathrooms
- Females produce 4–9 oothecae (egg case), containing 37–44 individual eggs.
- Nymphs take 30–60 days to mature into adults.
Signs of Infestation
- Fecal droppings
- Egg casings
- Cockroach odor
- Dead roaches